About Scientific Wrestling
The sport of catch-as-catch-can wrestling is both an alternative and complement to other popular combat sports like Mixed Martial Arts, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kickboxing, and Amateur Wrestling.
The first of its kind organization, founded by Jake Shannon, Scientific Wrestling was established in 2003 as an independent association of grappling and Catch Wrestling practitioners, historians, and enthusiasts.
Some of the all time greats in the sport of wrestling including Olympic champions, Mixed Martial Arts champions, and World-Record Holders, as well as grassroots level practitioners and enthusiasts, have shared and supported Jake's vision for the sport of catch-as-catch-can.
Since its inception, Scientific Wrestling has expanded worldwide and has made available educational and competition opportunities that were once scarce or otherwise unavailable, in addition to inspiring scores of others to follow our lead.
Compare the rest, then learn from the best - SCIENTIFIC WRESTLING.
- Introduced the West to the first open training camps and seminars with Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Dick Cardinal, and Billy Robinson in 2006.
- Produced both acclaimed documentaries 'My Cigar with Karl' and 'The Scientific Wrestling Revolution: The Return of Billy Robinson to England ' in addition to scores of other top-notch quality grappling instructional DVDs with the top in their fields.
- In 2006, developed the acclaimed 'Certified Catch Wrestler' program to provide authentic catch-as-catch-can training and authentication of training claims. The program has received unprecedented praise from top-ranking MMA athletes, top catch wrestling legends, Gold Medal winning wrestlers/grapplers, and novices alike.
- Launched first ever catch-as-catch-can tournaments in the modern age with rules devised with Karl Gotch in 2007.
- Invented the new fitness implement 'The Macebell' in 2007.
- Wrote the best-selling book 'Say Uncle: Catch-As-Catch-Can Wrestling and the Roots of Ultimate Fighting, Pro-Wrestling, & Modern Grappling' (a best-selling in two different categories on Amazon.com) in 2011.
Scientific Wrestling is the leading professional association for Catch-As-Catch-Can Wrestlers, maintained for and by competitive grapplers dedicated to the advancement of the sport of Catch Wrestling through education, training, friendly competition, and the promotion of the rules of Catch Wrestling globally.
Scientific Wrestling holds the unique distinction of having been personally advised by some of the all-time greats in modern grappling including. Very special thanks to:
-Billy Robinson (Inarguably the most successful catch wrestler coach in modern history and and feared wrestler)
-Karl Gotch (revered in Japan as the "God of Wrestling", Olympian in 1948 London Games, and traveled the world learning and spreading Catch Wrestling. His students inspired the creation of modern MMA)
-Yoshiaki Fujiwara (legendary submission grappling master and Karl Gotch's best student)
-Josh Barnett (Youngest UFC Heavyweight Champion ever, King of Pancrase, professional wrestler, feared catch wrestler)
-Eric Paulson (longtime Shooto light heavyweight champion and renowned MMA coach)
-Wade Schalles (Guinness World Record Holder for Most Wins AND PINS in Wrestling)
-Mark Schultz (Olympic Gold Medalist and Ultimate Fighting Championship winner)
-Frank Shamrock (Undefeated Five-Time UFC Middleweight Champion and 4th King of Pancrase)
-Dick Cardinal (feared At-Show shooter)
-Billy Wicks (carnival wrestler and student of Henry Kohln)
-Frank Cain (famous Carnival wrestler and combo-man)
-Mark Fleming (UWFi fighter and Lou Thesz's protege)